Coffee grinders surely are a new sensation for coffee lovers as they grind the coffee beans using sharp blades and quick movements.
That said, these tiny appliances get dirty easily. Why? Because the coffee beans could leave gunk, grime, and oil while you are grinding them.
Hence, if you don’t clean it thoroughly, then chances are that the beans won’t grind easily.
Therefore, I’m here today to answer the question, i.e. “How to clean a coffee grinder?” using some easy DIY methods.
Have a look at them as follows:
How to Clean a Blade Grinder?
First of all, the most commonly used grinder type for coffee beans is a blade grinder or in simple words a spice grinder.
I’ve got a Krups Blade Grinder that I use often to grind coffee beans for fresh brewing.
Here’s how to clean a Krups coffee grinder following a DIY method:
Things You’ll Require:
- A Krups Blade and Spice Grinder. (That’s Obvious)
- Uncooked rice, (1/4 cup)
- Water and
- Paper Towels.
Instructions to Follow:
1. Unplug the blade grinder and fill it out with the uncooked rice.
2. Cover the lid and turn on the blade grinder. Run it until the uncooked rice gets pulverized and catches all the gunk, grime, and coffee oils, etc.
3. Turn it off yet again and remove the lid. The pulverized rice will make a mixture that you have to remove now.
4. So, dump out the rice flour with a spoon or manually as you like.
5. Add some water to a bowl and damp a paper towel in it.
6. Use the paper towel to clean the inside of blade grinder thoroughly.
7. You could also use an old toothbrush or toothpick to clean every nook and corner of the blade grinder easily.
8. Rub a damp cloth on the electric base and dry it out with a paper towel.
That’s how you clean a KRUPS coffee grinder. Repeat this process every week if you want your coffee grinder to remain away from unnecessary buildup.
How to Clean Canonical Burr Coffee Grinders?
Here I will take the Black + Decker Burr coffee grinder for cleaning.
Burr grinders are a recent trend and they perform better when it comes to grinding coffee beans.
Using a completely different method, they grind coffee beans with consistency and an improved texture at the same time.
All in all, if you’ve got a dirty canonical burr coffee grinder to clean, then you are at the right place.
Follow the steps on how to clean a Black + Decker Coffee Grinder:
Things You’ll Require:
Instructions to Follow:
1. First things first, unplug the coffee grinder and remove its hopper. Mind you that hopper is the place where coffee beans are stored.
2. Wash the hopper using dishwashing liquid soap and sponge. Scrub it and remove gunk off it thoroughly.
3. Next remove the lid and wash it using the same method.
4. Disassemble the plastic and rubber parts of the coffee grinder that could come in contact with the coffee beans.
5. Wash them with liquid soap using your hands or a sponge as per your preferences.
6. Next step involves removing the inner burr. However, you’ll require a tool to remove it efficiently. Don’t follow this step if you are new to burr coffee grinders.
7. Use an old stiff toothbrush and clean the inner and outer burr with care and complete focus. Make sure that there isn’t any dirt or loose coffee on the burrs.
8. In addition to that, take a dry cloth and remove coffee oils from the burrs accordingly. Never wash the burrs with water.
9. Let all the parts dry naturally and reassemble them using the user’s manual.
10. Turn on the coffee grinder and see whether it’s working properly or not.
Burr coffee grinders require great care and maintenance. That’s the main reason I’ve mentioned the whole cleaning process with a step-by-step technique.
Follow it and keep your burr coffee grinder maintained for a long time.
Using Coffee Grinder Cleaning Tablets:
If you don’t know how to disassemble a coffee grinder, then don’t worry at all.
Coffee grinder cleaning tablets are now available, which remove grime, coffee oils, and extra debris off the appliance easily.
However, you have to purchase them and they cost around $10 to $20 easily.
After purchasing, the tablets, add them into the hopper and adjust the coffee grinder at medium settings.
Run the coffee grinder until the tablets become powdered.
Let the mixture settle as it’s absorbing the coffee oils and residue, etc.
Remove the mixture after some time and clean the coffee grinder with a dry cloth.
That’s how to clean a coffee grinder using coffee grinder tablets.
Some Last Words:
It’s recommended that you keep your coffee grinder maintained and clean on daily basis.
Follow all the steps on how to clean a coffee grinder and implement them thoroughly.
Use grinder tablets if you are new to this appliance.
Have you got any other cleaning trick up your sleeves? Share it with us and we’ll update it accordingly.